1. Wide of huge crowd gathered outside St Peter’s Basilica waiting for appearance on balcony of new pope
2. Medium of crowd waving flags, AUDIO: bells ringing
3. Wide of Cardinal Jean-Luis Tauran saying (Latin) “Habemus Papam” (English: “We have a pope!”)
4. Wide of cardinals watching from balcony
5. Wide of Pope Francis walking onto balcony and waving to crowd
6. SOUNDBITE (English): Kim Daniels, Director of Catholic Voices USA:
“Pope Francis is Bergoglio, Cardinal Bergoglio from Buenos Aires. And I think he was not one of the leading contenders when people would talk about who they thought would be pope, and that might explain some of the perplexity that you felt. But what I know about him is that he is really a voice for the voiceless and vulnerable. That’s the message of our church. And I know that what you can say is that when he talked about being from the end of the world, in Argentina, what we’re showing here is that we really are a worldwide church, we have this growth in the global South, to have finally a Latin American pope is just wonderful.”
7. Wide of Pope Francis speaking to crowd from balcony, UPSOUND: (Italian) “It is the role of the Conclave to choose a Bishop for Rome. It seems as if my brother Cardinals went to get him almost at the end of the world.”
8. SOUNDBITE (English): Kim Daniels, Director of Catholic Voices USA:
“One of the interesting things we saw here was that, when Pope Francis came out, he knelt down, he asked for the crowd’s blessing, we saw him pray along with the crowd, the ‘Our Father’, the ‘Hail Mary’, joining us all in those prayers that are so familiar to Catholics. It was a sign of humility, it was a sign that holiness is the most important thing here. It’s so, so wonderful to see someone really focus on prayer like that, and that’s essential to the new evangelisation which he also talked about.”
9. Wide of Pope Francis and cardinals standing on balcony
10. SOUNDBITE (English): Kim Daniels, Director of Catholic Voices USA:
“Because what is really needed is prayer and holiness and reflection and service to the voiceless and vulnerable, and that’s what Pope Francis stands for. I am sure you probably know that Saint Francis, God said to Saint Francis: “Rebuild my Church”. And one of the wonderful things about Cardinal Bergoglio choosing the name Francis is that he is really pointing us towards this renewal.”
11. Wide of Pope Francis on balcony saying (Italian): “Good night and have a good rest”, before turning and leaving balcony
Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina was elected pope on Wednesday – becoming the first pontiff from the Americas and the first from outside Europe in more than a millennium.
He chose the name Francis, associating himself with the humble 13th-century Italian preacher who lived a life of poverty.
The 76-year-old archbishop of Buenos Aires – the first from Latin America and the first from the Jesuit order – bowed to the crowds in St Peter’s Square and asked for their blessing in a hint of the austere style he cultivated while modernising the Argentina’s conservative Catholic church.
“We saw him pray along with the crowd, the ‘Our Father’, the ‘Hail Mary’, joining us all in those prayers that are so familiar to Catholics,” said Kim Daniels, Director of Catholic Voices USA.
“It was a sign of humility, it was a sign that holiness is the most important thing here.”
“It’s so, so wonderful to see someone really focus on prayer like that, and that’s essential to the new evangelisation which he also talked about,” she added.
The choice of Bergoglio reflected a series of history-making decisions by fellow cardinals who seemed determined to offer a message of renewal to a church under pressures on many fronts.
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/97ad85128a025e563c090b80e22c10c2
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork