Places to see in ( Heidelberg – Germany ) Jesuitenkirche
The Jesuit church (official name: parish church of the Holy Spirit and St. Ignatius ) is next to the Heiliggeistkirche the largest and most important church in Heidelberg and forms the architectural focus of the former Jesuitenviertel in the old town in the immediate vicinity of the university square . It is today the main church of the Roman Catholic Holy Spirit community in Heidelberg (Old Town).
The church was built from 1712 to 1759 in Baroque style, the neo-baroque tower was added only in the years 1868-1872. The church, not as usual to the eastbut facing south is a “remarkable as well as unusual construction”. Attached to the church is the Museum of Sacred Art and Liturgy with Treasury. There are, among other things saints, goblets and monstrances and vestments from past centuries issued.
The Jesuits came to Heidelberg as early as 1622 during the Thirty Years’ War , after the victories of Tilly over the Protestant Union and on the occasion of the occupation of Heidelberg by Bavarian troops. However, this interlude was soon over. Only in 1698, after the dynastic change from the reformed line Pfalz-Simmern to the Catholic line Pfalz-Neuburg the Palatine Wittelsbacher , called Elector Johann Wilhelm- After a brief interlude in the 1680s – the Jesuit order back to Heidelberg. This was to play an important role in the re-catholicization efforts of the Elector in the hitherto Protestant Palatinateplay. At the beginning, only 2 priests and 1 Frater arrived in Heidelberg. In the heyday of the Order in Heidelberg, the number increased to nearly 100 Jesuits. These worked mainly at the university, in the school service and in pastoral work. At times, the Order held seven professorships at the university. The foundation stone for the Kollegiengebäude was laid in 1703. The construction work on the large, four-sided building with courtyard was 1712, when it was begun with the construction of the church, only partially completed.
The south wing, which was demolished in the 19th century, was completed in 1732. The Heidelberg Jesuit College became with the abolition of the Jesuit orderdissolved in 1773. From then on, the spacious building, of which there are only two wings left, was used for various purposes: until 1793, the Lazarist order had its domicile here. After that, the building served for some time as a barracks for other purposes. Later it was auctioned off and used privately. After that, it housed first a senior citizen school, then a high school. The building currently houses the University of England’s Anglican Institute and the rectory of the Holy Spirit Church. Part of the building serves as a private living space.
The current main organ on the gallery was completed in 2009 and dedicated to Pentecost this year. The predecessor copy was built in the years 1953-1955 by the organ builder Steinmeyer; This instrument was abandoned in the course of the interior renovation of the church from 2001 to 2004 and is now in the Organ Center Valley in Holzkirchen in Upper Bavaria. There, the originally as “unplayable” rated organ has been restored and is now operational again.
( Heidelberg – Germany ) is well know as a tourist destination because of the variety of places you can enjoy while you are visiting Heidelberg . Through a series of videos we will try to show you recommended places to visit in Heidelberg – Germany
Join us for more :
Tweets by Placestoseein1